Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Mathematical!

Adventure Time is a big enough phenomenon for you to have heard of it. If you’re still seeing stars, this might jog your memory.
Image Source

Jake the dog and Finn the human are the reason my kids love Math. Earlier it was moan this, tantrum that when we took out our Math syllabus. It got so loud when the worksheets came out that it completely threw my teaching style. I learnt a lesson then –Flustered Parent = Even More Flustered Child. I think trying to navigate the dark recesses of Math is difficult enough without both of you being in a bad mood.

Luckily, I didn’t have to go looking for solutions. Adventure Time found them. It’s a story of a boy and his dog and they go on adventures completely unrelated to Math. Some of the content is for older kids – I think Jake and Finn are meant for preteen ages and above. So how did the kids take Math away from a show like that?

Simple, it is Finn’s favorite catch phrase. When the monster has been defeated, when an adventure has been successful, when the day has been saved – the adventure duo, Finn and Jake, use Math terms. The kids most favorite one, of course, is MATHEMATICAL!

When the kids suddenly showed an interest in a subject for no logical reason, I didn’t complain. This mom did a little happy dance. And said the words!


Image Source




No comments:

Post a Comment