Sunday, November 9, 2014

Fraction Bingo

As a homeschooler and a mum, I’m very aware of my children’s aging process. The awareness of them growing older is a constant background feeling. It comes with the parenting job description. It isn’t something that defines the way you behave with them but it does inform certain actions.

This subtle dread became full blown panic the other day when I realized that my child was old enough to be taught fractions! Fractions! It strikes more fear in me than spiders. I hated Math as a child and always go with the easiest option of rounding things off. As my child’s primary teacher, I can’t brush it off in the same careless manner. I am well aware than if I hate math, my child will too.

Determined to teach myself to love math, I went on a googling spree to figure out unique ways to learn fractions. I wanted to, first, understand the concept thoroughly and second, discover a way to transfer that knowledge in an interactive and fun way so that the subject isn’t a huge rainy cloud over the poor dear’s head.

And then I found a way and the little ones have been wanting to play it every day. When their friends are over, it is one of the games that come out of the cupboard. I can’t really complain, if they can learn from the games they are playing, why not?

The idea and concept is taken from – Primarily Speaking: A blog for teachers. Click through for instructionals.


The secret ingredient to learning fractions without losing your mind = Fraction Bingo. I created a few sheets of fraction figures. When I call out a fraction, the kids have to find it on their bingo sheet and color in the fraction. The rest of the Bingo rules apply.

Don't you just love the internet and its goodies?





No comments:

Post a Comment